- Having a pH greater than 7; neutralizing acids.
- Relating to or denoting a solution with a pH greater than 7.
Late 18th century: from alkali + -ine.
- Alkaline soils are not suitable for growing certain plants.
- The alkaline water from the well had a pH of 8.5.
- Baking soda is alkaline and can neutralize stomach acid.
- The alkaline solution used to clean the metal surfaces was very effective.
- Alkaline batteries are more long-lasting than acid batteries.
Some random words: jalopy, leukocyte, amplification