A bitter-tasting organic base found in many plants, especially those in the nightshade family, and having physiological effects on humans and animals.
Late 19th century: from german alkaloid, from alkali (see alkali) + -oid.
- Morphine is an alkaloid found in opium.
- The alkaloids found in this plant have medicinal properties.
- Caffeine is an alkaloid found in coffee and tea.
- The alkaloids in this plant are toxic to animals.
- The alkaloids in this plant have been used for centuries in traditional medicine.
Some random words: uprising, jocularity, leitmotif