- Having hidden or symbolic meaning, especially moral or political significance.
- Relating to, using, or having the characteristics of allegory.
Late middle english (in the sense "relating to the interpretation of allegories"): via old french from latin allegoricus, from greek allēgorikos, from allēgorein "speak figuratively".
- The novel is an allegorical story about the dangers of totalitarianism.
- The painting is widely considered to be allegorical, with the various elements representing different aspects of the human condition.
- The poem is an allegory of the soul's journey to God.
- The allegorical meaning of the story is that greed leads to downfall.
- The film is an allegory for the political climate of the time.