- A story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one.
- A representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; an emblem.
From greek allegoria, from allegorēs "speaking otherwise", from allos "other" + agoreuein "speak in public".
- The novel is an allegory for the struggle of the human spirit.
- The painting is an allegory of the triumph of good over evil.
- The fable is an allegory for the importance of honesty.
- The statue is an allegory of freedom.
- The poem is an allegory of the human condition.
Some random words: innovation, sackcloth, trier