- Make (suffering, deficiency, or a problem) less severe.
- Relieve (a person or their feelings) of something that causes discomfort or distress.
Late middle english: from latin alleviat- "lightened", from the verb alleviare, from ad- "to" + levis "light".
- The medicine alleviates the pain.
- The new law alleviates the burden on small businesses.
- The therapy alleviates the symptoms of the disease.
- The charity alleviates the poverty in the community.
- The program alleviates the stress of the students.
Some random words: strike, forgivable, thin