- A narrow street or passage between or behind buildings, typically one providing access to the rear of properties.
- A lane or path that runs behind buildings.
A combination of alley and way which means a narrow street or passage between or behind buildings.
- He took a shortcut through the alleyway.
- She walked down the dark alleyway.
- The alleyway was a shortcut to the main street.
- The alleyway was cluttered with trash.
- The alleyway was a convenient way to get to the back entrance of the building.