- A union or association formed for mutual benefit, especially between countries or organizations.
- A relationship based on common interests or goals.
Late middle english: from old french aliance, from alier "unite, ally", from latin alligare "bind, tie to", from ad- "to" + ligare "bind".
- The two countries formed an alliance.
- The alliance between the two companies was beneficial for both.
- The alliance will help to strengthen the country's defense.
- He formed an alliance with other businessmen.
- The alliance between the two countries was an important step in resolving the conflict.