- A work of art, such as a painting, sculpture, or carving, placed behind or above an altar in a church.
- A decorative or ornamental screen or structure placed around or above an altar in a church.
Late middle english (denoting a screen or cover for the altar): from old french autelpiece, from autel "altar" + piece "piece".
- The altarpiece was a magnificent masterpiece, depicting scenes from the life of Christ.
- The altarpiece was a gift from a wealthy benefactor, and was considered a valuable treasure of the church.
- The altarpiece was an impressive work of art, with intricate details and vibrant colors.
- The altarpiece was a symbol of the church's devotion to its faith, and was viewed with reverence by its parishioners.
- The altarpiece was a focal point of the church, and was admired by visitors and worshippers alike.