A device in a car or other internal combustion engine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy to charge the battery and power the electrical system.
Late 19th century, from latin alternare (to alternate) + -tor.
- The alternator is responsible for charging the car's battery while the engine is running.
- The mechanic said the alternator was the cause of the electrical problems in the car.
- The alternator's function is to generate electrical energy to charge the battery and to power the electrical system.
- An alternator is a type of generator that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.
- It"s time to replace the alternator, it"s not working properly.