The belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others.
From french altruisme, from autrui ("other peopl.e")
- The volunteer work was an expression of his altruism.
- Altruism is a key component of many religious and philosophical belief systems.
- Her actions were motivated by pure altruism, she didn't expect anything in return.
- His decision to donate a large portion of his wealth to charity was an act of altruism.
- The rescue mission was a display of altruism and bravery.