Of or relating to the alveoli, the small air sacs in the lungs where the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide takes place.
Early 19th century, from latin alveolus (small hollow), from alvus (belly).
- Alveolar damage is a common complication of smoking.
- Alveolar sacs are where gas exchange takes place in the lungs.
- The alveolar process is the part of the jaw that holds the teeth.
- Alveolar proteinosis is a disorder that affects the alveoli in the lungs.
- Alveolar macrophages are immune cells that protect the lungs.