A person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid basis.
From the french word "amateur" meaning lover, enthusiast, from old french and ultimately from latin amatorem (nominative amator) meaning lover, from amare meaning to love.
- He was an amateur golfer before turning professional.
- The amateur photographer took many beautiful pictures.
- She was an amateur singer before becoming a professional.
- The amateur astronomer built his own telescope.
- The amateur cook made a delicious dinner for his friends.