- Cause (someone) to feel surprise and wonder; astound.
- Completely surprise and bewilder (someone).
- Be a source of great surprise or wonder.
Middle english (in the sense "bewilder, perplex"): from old french esmayer, based on latin ex- "out" + magus "magician".
- The magic show amazed the audience.
- He was amazed at how well she spoke French.
- The beauty of the landscape amazed us.
- The speed of the train amazed him.
- Her ability to solve the problem amazed everyone.
Some random words: retaliatory, upstate, dimple