The atmosphere or quality of a place, especially with regard to its atmosphere and perceived emotional tone.
Late 19th century: from french ambiance, from ambiant "surrounding", from latin ambire "to go around".
- The ambience of the restaurant was elegant and romantic.
- The lighting and music contributed to the cozy ambience of the cafe.
- The ambience at the park was peaceful and serene, with the sound of birds and the rustling of leaves.
- Some people find the ambience of a library to be conducive to studying and concentration.
- The ambience of the nightclub was loud and energetic, with flashing lights and thumping music.