- A vehicle equipped for transporting people who are ill or injured, typically fitted with equipment such as oxygen and a stretcher.
- A service providing such vehicles and staff.
From the french word "ambulance" meaning "a vehicle for conveying the sick or injured", it is derived from the latin word "ambulare" meaning "to walk or move about".
- She called an ambulance for her daughter who was having a seizure.
- The injured man was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.
- The ambulance was fitted with all the necessary equipment to save the patient's life.
- He was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance after the accident.
- The ambulance service is a vital part of the healthcare system.