A colorless gas with a strong, pungent smell. It is used in the manufacture of fertilizers, cleaning fluids, and nitric acid.
Late 18th century: from latin sal ammoniacus "salt of ammon" (because the gas was first obtained by heating this salt).
- The smell of ammonia was overpowering in the cleaning aisle of the store.
- Ammonia is used to make fertilizers for crops.
- The ammonia was used to create nitric acid.
- The laboratory had several containers of ammonia.
- The ammonia was used as a refrigerant in older refrigeration systems.
Some random words: osteopathic, doublespeak, stemware