- An official pardon for people who have been convicted of political offenses.
- An official pardon given to all people who have been convicted of a specific crime.
Late 16th century: from latin amnestia, from greek amnēstia "forgetfulness", from a- "not" + mnēstēs "remembering".
- The government granted amnesty to political prisoners.
- He was granted amnesty for his crimes.
- The president issued an amnesty for all tax evaders.
- The organization called for amnesty for refugees.
- The country's new leader promised amnesty for all political prisoners.