A type of dry sherry aged partly in the mountains, characterized by its nutty flavor.
From spanish amontillado, past participle of amontillar, from montaña, "mountain", referring to a style of sherry aged partly in the mountains.
- We ordered a bottle of amontillado to go with our meal.
- The amontillado sherry was the perfect complement to the rich, savory flavors of the dish.
- He was a connoisseur of fine wines and had a particular fondness for amontillado.
- The amontillado was aged for over a decade and had a deep, complex flavor.
- I was surprised to learn that amontillado is actually a type of sherry, I had always thought it was a specific brand.