- To pay off (a debt) gradually over time through regular payments.
- To write off the value of an asset gradually over a period of time.
Late 17th century, from french amortir, from latin amortire (to kill), from ad- (to) + mortuus (dead).
- The company amortized the cost of the new equipment over 5 years.
- We need to amortize the loan over a period of 20 years.
- The company amortized the cost of the building over a period of 30 years.
- Amortizing the loan will help the company with its cash flow.
- The company will amortize the cost of the software over a period of 3 years.
Some random words: high-speed, sync, explode