- A quantity of something, especially money.
- The total value or quantity of something, especially when estimated or computed.
- The total number or quantity of something considered collectively.
Late middle english: from old french amonte 'amount, increase', from latin ad montem 'to the mountain' (i.e. a sum of money due was recorded by adding it to a previous sum recorded on a tally, represented by a notched stick, which was then split down the middle along the notches, one half being kept by the creditor and the other by the debtor; later, the sense was extended to the stick itself and to the sum recorded on it).
- The amount of money raised was impressive.
- The recipe calls for a specific amount of flour.
- The amount of work required is considerable.
- The company is considering reducing the amount of staff they have.
- The amount of time needed to complete the project has been shortened.