- A synthetic drug that stimulates the central nervous system, used medically as a stimulant and appetite suppressant and recreationally as a euphoriant.
- A synthetic drug that is similar in structure to adrenaline and noradrenaline, used as a stimulant to the central nervous system.
Late 19th century: from alpha- (representing alpha-methyl) +phenyl + -amine.
- Amphetamines are commonly prescribed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- The athlete was banned for using amphetamines to enhance his performance.
- Amphetamines are highly addictive and can cause serious health problems.
- The doctor prescribed amphetamines to help the patient lose weight.
- Illegal amphetamine production and trafficking has become a major problem in some countries.
Some random words: disband, unconditional, alleviation