- Out of its proper time period, especially by being too old or too modern.
- Belonging to a period other than that in which it is currently placed.
Mid 19th century: from greek anakhronistikos, from anakhronizesthai "to refer to a wrong time", from ana- "back" + khronos "time".
- The movie's use of anachronistic technology made it difficult to suspend disbelief.
- The play's anachronistic costumes were a jarring contrast to the historical setting.
- The anachronistic references to smartphones in the novel set in medieval times.
- The use of anachronistic weapons in the video game set in ancient times.
- The anachronistic use of a computer in the 1950s film.
Some random words: efface, cutting-edge, agent