A microorganism that can survive and grow in the absence of oxygen.
From greek an- "without" + aer "air" + -obe "dweller".
- Anaerobic bacteria are found in the human gut, where they aid in digestion.
- The anaerobe was able to survive in the sealed container because it did not require oxygen to survive.
- Anaerobic respiration is a process used by some organisms to generate energy without the need for oxygen.
- Anaerobic exercise, such as weightlifting, is a type of exercise that primarily works the muscles' anaerobic energy systems.
- The anaerobe was able to survive in deep sea where no oxygen was present.