- A comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
- A similarity or comparison between things that are otherwise unlike.
Late 16th century: via latin from greek analogia, from analogein "consider, compare", from ana- "upon, according to" + logos "ratio, proportion".
- The teacher used an analogy to explain the concept of photosynthesis.
- The brain is often compared to a computer as an analogy for its complexity and functions.
- He used the analogy of a marathon runner to describe the company's strategy.
- The analogy between a cell and a factory was used to explain the inner workings of a cell.
- Her analogy of a spider web to a network was a clever way to illustrate the concept.