Relating to the structure of living things, especially the bodies of animals and plants.
Late 16th century: via latin from greek anatomikos, from anatome "dissection", from ana- "up" + tome "a cutting".
- An anatomical study of the human body is essential for understanding its functions and systems.
- The anatomical model was used to teach students about the different parts and structures of the human body.
- Anatomical illustrations are used to show the different parts and systems of an organism.
- The anatomical differences between humans and other primates are the result of millions of years of evolution.
- An anatomical knowledge of the heart and circulatory system is important for understanding heart disease and its treatment.