- Lineage, descent, or lineage; the people from whom one is descended.
- The study of one's family history and lineage.
- The origin or background of a person, group, or thing.
From old french ancestrie, from latin ancestria, from ancestr-, ancestor.
- His ancestry can be traced back to the early settlers of the colony.
- She was proud of her ancestry and the tradition of her family.
- The ancestry of the language can be traced back to the Indo-European language family.
- The ancestry of the dog species is still debated among experts.
- He was interested in learning about his ancestry and started researching his family tree.