A small, common saltwater fish that is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, typically served in a sauce, as a spread, or stuffed in olives.
Late middle english: from old french anchoie, via latin from greek ankhōia.
- The anchovies were served on slices of crusty bread.
- The pizza was topped with anchovies, olives, and cheese.
- Anchovies are often used to add a salty, savory flavor to dishes.
- The anchovy sauce was the secret ingredient in the salad dressing.
- Many people enjoy the taste of anchovies, but others find it too strong and overpowering.