A metal support, typically in pairs, for holding logs in a fireplace.
From old french andier, from medieval latin anderium, from late latin ander "fireplace, hearth".
- The andirons were made of cast iron and had a decorative design.
- He added a new set of andirons to his fireplace to replace the old, rusted ones.
- Andirons are used to keep the logs in place and raise them off the hearth, allowing air to circulate and keeping the fire burning efficiently.
- The andirons are often used for decorating the fireplace and for holding the firewood.
- The andirons were passed down through generations as a family heirloom.
Some random words: catalyst, shout, regularization