- The combination of masculine and feminine characteristics in one person.
- The quality of having both male and female characteristics.
Early 17th century, from french androgynie, from greek androgynos (hermaphrodite), from andros (man) + gyne (woman).
- The androgynous model had both masculine and feminine features.
- Androgyny can be used to challenge traditional gender roles.
- Androgyny is common in some cultures.
- The fashion industry often features androgynous models.
- Androgyny is a term used to describe the combination of male and female characteristics in a person.