- Lack of sensation or feeling, particularly in a certain part of the body.
- A state of unconsciousness or insensitivity to pain induced by drugs or other means for the purpose of surgery or other medical procedures.
From new latin, from greek an- "without" + aesthēsis "sensation".
- He was given anesthesia before the surgery.
- The patient was under general anesthesia for the duration of the procedure.
- The anesthesia made him unable to feel pain during the operation.
- The anesthesia team was responsible for administering and monitoring the patient's anesthesia.
- The patient was given local anesthesia for the dental procedure.