- Relating to or causing loss of sensation or feeling, particularly in a certain part of the body.
- Relating to or inducing a state of unconsciousness or insensitivity to pain, as by drugs or other means, for the purpose of surgery or other medical procedures.
From new latin anesthesius "insensible", from greek an- "without" + aisthēsis "sensation".
- An anesthetic cream was applied to the affected area to reduce pain.
- The anesthetic was administered to the patient before the procedure.
- An anesthetic gas was used to put the patient to sleep.
- The anesthetic properties of the drug made it useful for surgical procedures.
- The anesthetic effect of the injection was quick and efficient.