- To add notes or comments to a text or document, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
- To provide critical or explanatory notes or comments on a text or document.
From the latin annotare, from the prefix ad- meaning "to" and notare meaning "to note".
- The teacher asked the students to annotate the text to show their understanding of the concepts.
- The researcher had to annotate all the scientific papers to make sure the information was accurate.
- Annotating a book can help you remember important points and understand the author's arguments.
- The students were asked to annotate the textbook to prepare for the exam.
- The annotated version of the book had additional information and comments from the editor.