- Apply oil or a similar substance to (someone or something), typically as part of a religious ceremony.
- Choose or appoint (someone) for a task or office, especially in a ceremonious way.
Old english anointian, from latin ungere "to anoint", from unguentum "ointment".
- He was anointed with oil as part of the religious ceremony.
- The kings were anointed with holy oil at their coronation.
- The new leader was anointed by the elders.
- She was anointed as the leader of the organization.
- The new priest was anointed by the bishop.