The act of applying oil, typically as a religious or ceremonial rite.
From the verb to anoint, from latin ungere, meaning to "anoint" or "smear" with oil.
- The anointment of a new king is an important part of the coronation ceremony.
- The anointment of the body is a sacrament of the Catholic Church.
- Anointment with oil was a common practice in ancient times and was believed to have healing powers.
- Anointment was performed as a religious rite in many cultures, including the ancient Egyptians and Hebrews.
- The anointment of the feet is an important part of the Christian liturgy.