- A small insect that lives in organized colonies or nests, which typically consist of one or a few fertile females and many sterile workers.
- A small, hard-bodied insect with a slender waist and long antennae, that lives in organized colonies or nests.
- A social insect that lives in colonies or nests, typically having a division of labor among workers, soldiers, and reproductive forms.
Old english æmette, of germanic origin; related to dutch emet and german ameise.
- The ants were marching in a line across the picnic table.
- The ant colony was located near the base of the tree.
- The ant was carrying a crumb of bread back to the colony.
- The ant hill was home to thousands of ants.
- The ants were working together to carry the leaf.