- Active hostility or opposition towards someone or something.
- A state of opposition or hostility between people or groups.
Late 16th century (in the sense "struggle for superiority"): from french antagonisme or late latin antagonismus, from greek antagōnismos "opposition", from antagōnizesthai "to struggle against", from ant- "against" + agōn "contest".
- There was a strong antagonism between the two sides.
- The antagonism between the two countries has been escalating.
- He felt a deep antagonism towards his brother.
- The antagonism between the two sides was clearly visible.
- The antagonism between the two groups led to a lot of tension.