- Relating to the region around the South Pole.
- Relating to the Antarctic Circle or the Antarctic region of the Southern Hemisphere.
Late 18th century: from latin antarcticus "opposite the north", from antarctos "opposite the bear (constellation)", from anti- "opposite" + arktos "bear".
- The Antarctic Peninsula is the northernmost part of the mainland of Antarctica.
- Antarctic ice shelves are the floating extensions of ice sheets that reach the ocean.
- The Antarctic Treaty was signed in 1961 to protect the Antarctic environment.
- Antarctic krill is a small shrimp-like crustacean that plays a key role in the Antarctic food web.
- Antarctic fur seals are found on sub-Antarctic islands and the Antarctic Peninsula.