To be of a date earlier than a document or event.
The word "antedate" is a verb that means "to be of a date earlier than (a document or event)". it is derived from the latin word "ante" which means "before" and "datum" which means "given".
- The document was found to antedate the start of the war by several months.
- The coin antedates the earliest known examples of this particular denomination.
- The building antedates the city's founding and is considered a historical landmark.
- The painting antedates the artist's most well-known works.
- The artifact was found to antedate the earliest known civilization in the region.