A person who is against abortion and who typically campaigns for laws that restrict or ban the practice.
Late 20th century: from anti- + abortion + -ist.
- Antiabortionists often cite religious or moral objections to the practice of abortion.
- The antiabortionist movement has been a political and cultural force in many countries for several decades.
- Many antiabortionists see the issue as a matter of protecting the rights of the unborn child.
- Antiabortionists often stage protests and demonstrations outside abortion clinics to raise awareness of their cause.
- The views of antiabortionists are often opposed by those who support a woman's right to make decisions about her own body and reproductive health.