A substance or drug that kills or slows the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms.
Derived from greek words 'anti' meaning 'against' and 'bios' meaning 'life'.
- The doctor prescribed a course of antibiotics to treat the patient's bacterial infection.
- Overuse of antibiotics can lead to antibiotic resistance, making it more difficult to treat infections.
- Penicillin was one of the first antibiotics discovered and is still widely used today.
- The development of antibiotics revolutionized modern medicine and has saved countless lives.
- Antibiotics are typically used to treat bacterial infections, but are not effective against viral infections.