- A medicine or other substance used to counteract the effects of a poison.
- A remedy or cure for a specific problem or condition.
From middle english antidot, from old french antidot, from latin antidotum, from greek ἀντίδοτον (antidoton, "given against"), from ἀντί (anti, "against") + δότος (dotos, "give.n")
- Atropine is an antidote for nerve gas.
- The doctor gave him an antidote to counteract the effects of the poison.
- The antidote for snake venom is antivenom.
- Love is the antidote to hate.
- Laughter is the best antidote for stress.