Relating to or having the characteristics of an antigen, which is a substance that is recognized as foreign by the immune system and triggers an immune response.
From the prefix "anti-" meaning "against" and the word "gen" meaning "produce" and the suffix "-ic" meaning "of or related to".
- An antigenic substance is one that can trigger an immune response.
- Antigenic proteins are the most common type of antigens.
- Antigenic drift and antigenic shift are the two main mechanisms that generates genetic variation in influenza viruses.
- Antigenic markers are used to identify a type of microorganism.
- An antigenic peptide is a short string of amino acids that can be recognized by the immune system.