A substance that prevents oxidation, especially one used to counteract the deterioration of stored food products.
Mid 20th century: from anti- + oxidant.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps to protect cells from damage.
- The berries are high in antioxidants which can help lower the risk of certain diseases.
- Antioxidants can help protect cells against damage from free radicals.
- The supplement contains a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce inflammation.
- Antioxidants can help slow down the aging process.