Relating to or being a medication or treatment that is used to prevent or treat viral infections.
The word 'antiviral' is derived from the prefix 'anti-' meaning 'opposed to' and 'viral' referring to viruses.
- The antiviral drugs can help to reduce the severity of symptoms and shorten the duration of illness in people with viral infections.
- The antiviral therapy is an essential component of the management of viral diseases such as HIV, hepatitis B and C, and influenza.
- The antiviral medications are used in combination with other treatments to enhance the effectiveness and reduce the risk of drug resistance.
- The antiviral vaccines have been developed for some of the most common and deadly viral diseases, such as measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella.
- The antiviral research continues to search for new and more effective ways to prevent and treat viral infections, including the development of antiviral gene therapies.