- A policy or system of segregation or discrimination on grounds of race.
- A system of institutionalized racial segregation and discrimination in South Africa between 1948 and 1994.
Mid 20th century: afrikaans, from dutch apart "separate" + -heid "-hood".
- The system of apartheid was abolished in South Africa in 1994.
- The laws of apartheid restricted the rights of non-white citizens.
- The system of apartheid was a gross violation of human rights.
- The fight against apartheid was a major civil rights movement.
- Apartheid was a system of institutionalized racial segregation and discrimination.