A small insect that feeds on plant sap and can cause damage to crops and gardens.
From old english æp, æf (an aphid) + -id.
- The plant was covered in aphids, which were sucking the sap and causing the leaves to wilt.
- The farmer sprayed a pesticide to kill the aphids and save the crop.
- Aphids are a common pest in gardens and can be controlled by natural predators such as ladybugs.
- Aphids excrete a sticky substance called honeydew which can attract ants and promote the growth of sooty mold.
- Aphids reproduce quickly and can cause significant damage to a plant in a short amount of time.