- A catastrophic event that brings widespread destruction and disaster.
- The end of the world or a great catastrophe.
From the greek word ἀποκάλυψις (apokalypsis), from ἀπό (apo) meaning "uncovering" + καλύπτω (kalypto) meaning "to cover".
- The nuclear war caused an apocalypse, destroying most of the planet.
- The word "apocalypse" comes from the Greek word ἀποκάλυψις (apokalypsis), which means "uncovering".
- Many religious texts contain references to an apocalypse at the end of the world.
- The apocalypse was caused by a massive asteroid collision with Earth.
- The apocalypse will be a time when the world will be completely destroyed.