- The name by which a person, place, or thing is known and addressed.
- A legally or officially recognized name or title.
Late middle english: from latin appellatio(n-), from the verb appellare (see appeal).
- The scientist was known by his professional appellation.
- The geographical appellation of the region has changed throughout history.
- The wine's appellation of origin is protected by law.
- The author's literary appellation is well-known.
- The appellation of the new product caused some confusion.