Inflammation of the appendix, a condition that can be extremely painful and may require surgical removal of the appendix.
Late 19th century: from appendicitis, from latin appendix (see appendix) + -itis.
- The patient was diagnosed with appendicitis and required an emergency appendectomy.
- The symptoms of appendicitis include abdominal pain and tenderness.
- Appendicitis can be caused by a blockage in the appendix.
- The patient's appendicitis was treated with antibiotics but eventually required surgery.
- The doctor suspected appendicitis and ordered a CT scan to confirm the diagnosis.