- A device or machine, especially an electrical one, that is used to perform a particular task.
- An apparatus or tool used for a specific purpose.
Late middle english (in the sense "the act of applying or putting to use"): from old french apliance, from aplier "apply".
- The kitchen was full of appliances such as a refrigerator, oven, and dishwasher.
- The new appliance made the task much easier.
- He had to buy a new appliance to replace the old one.
- The appliance was designed to make cooking easier.
- The dental office had state of the art appliances.